Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Hereditary Creativity!

I have always considered myself creative. I come from a very long line of creative women, who have more ideas and energy, than time. I love to think outside the box and come up with new ways of doing things. However, I think there may be a new Creative Diva in the house!


As many of you know me daughter, Rebekah, suffered a stroke in utero. She is a subsequent left Hemiparesis child and has many challenges with everyday living. She does not use her left hand and only minimally uses her arm as an assistive tool. It has become very important that she start lifting her arm up due to shoulder weakness. If she continues to ignore her left arm it could potentially fall out of socket at her shoulder. Therefore, we have been trying to come up with a solution for this all summer. I have discussed modifications that could be added to desks and tables with her father. During one of these lengthy and complicated discussions my brilliant, creative, brain-injured child suggested we Velcro her hand to the desk. I was blown away by her insight and quickly realized that simple solutions are sometimes the best solutions.

So, here she is with her new fancy Velcro strap working away on her homework! It has worked so well that she has one in both her classrooms at school and I can really tell the difference with her arm.

And here I thought God gave this miracle child to me so I could teach HER things!

3 comments:

  1. The gift of wisdom. What beautiful daughters you have. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before settling on your garden space,Play Bazaar visit it at multiple times throughout the day. You need to understand what type of light the spot gets on an hourly basis, as it can have ramifications on the plants you can grow and your ability to grow anything at all! If the location receives no direct sunlight, reconsider your options.Satta King

    ReplyDelete